Galvanised Steel Fencing Benefits - Extended Lifespan
As fencing experts, we recognise and appreciate the strengths that galvanised steel has to offer. But what exactly is it? What are the benefits of galvanised steel? And why is it such a great option for fencing? Continue reading on for the answers.
What is galvanised steel?Galvanised steel is a type of steel (shock) that has been galvanised by the application of a zinc coating. The zinc coating is often applied using a ‘hot dip’ process, whereby clean steel is immersed into molten zinc for a metallurgic bond. This results in a long-lasting and high-quality finish which protects the steels body, acting as a shield against corrosive elements.
The steps taken to properly galvanise steel are as follows:
- The steel is first cleaned using a degreasing solution
- It is then rinsed before a second clean with diluted hot sulfuric acid
- Following its second clean, it’s rinsed again prior to being fluxed in an aqueous solution (typically zinc-ammonium chloride)
- The steel is then dried and galvanised through immersion in a vat of molten zinc
- To conclude, the steel is inspected for consistency and complete coating
The benefits of galvanised steel
With a range of benefits to take advantage of, galvanised steel is favoured in many industries. Here are the main reasons it’s utilised for such an array of projects worldwide:
- Extended lifespan – Upon galvanisation, a piece of industrial steel is expected to last around 50 years in average conditions, and over 20 years with severe water exposure.
- Rust & corrosion resistance – The iron elements of traditional steel are prone to rusting. But the addition of zinc through galvanising acts as a protective barrier between any moisture or oxygen.
- Cost-effective – Compared to most treated steels, galvanised steel is a cost-effective option. This is because additional preparations to the surface, inspections, and coatings are not required like others.
- Sustainable – The long-term durability provided by galvanising creates a relatively low environmental burden. It’s also easily recycled through an electric arc furnace (EAF).
- Reliable – As a relatively straightforward and proven process, galvanised steel proves reliable in many ways. Galvanising is a natural reaction, so unlike a paint coating, the zinc becomes part of the steel for maximum reliability.
Why galvanised steel is great for fencing
So, we’ve covered what galvanised steel is, along with the benefits it brings to the table. But how does this translate to the world of fencing? Let’s take a look.
When researching your fencing options, you want to make sure that your chosen solution is set up to last. Otherwise, you’ll find yourself in an unfortunate position, having to replace your fence much sooner than first expected.
Thankfully, though, the use of galvanised steel fence posts can help you avoid frequent replacements. Because of its strength and long-life expectancy, you’ll have a fence that stands the test of time.
Rust & corrosion resistance
Your fencing goes through a lot in its lifetime. From long periods of rain and snowfall, through to storms and even the risks of mild flooding – all of which can cause issues for traditional timber fencing.
When exposed to moisture for extended periods of time, timber posts can begin to warp, split, and rot. With galvanised steel on the other hand, you have nothing to worry about.
As a steel fencing solution, it doesn’t warp, split, or rot. This, combined with the galvanisation process, ensures it’s free from any rust or corrosion issues. So, no need to worry about maintenance!
Due to the extended lifespan that galvanised steel promises, you tend to reach a far more cost-effective fencing solution. Meaning that rather wasting money on a cheap and cheerful solution that lasts five to ten years, you invest a touch more to begin with for a longer-lasting fence, which has an overall reduced lifetime cost.
It’s no secret that many consumers now look for sustainable solutions in their buying decisions – and with fencing, things are no different.
Where concrete and timber fencing (mainly concrete) are often avoided due to their sustainability concerns, galvanised steel isn’t. Its endless recyclability and long-term durability make it a favourite fencing material amongst homeowners.
Given the main task of fencing, which is to protect your property and add privacy, you want something reliable. Galvanised steel fence posts provide all the reliability you need. With its strength, long life expectancy, and immunity to traditional fencing issues, you’ll have peace of mind right from the point of installation.
The ultimate galvanised steel fencing solution from DuraPost®
DuraPost® is the stylish, secure, and easy to maintain galvanised steel post system for virtually any type of fencing. It’s guaranteed to last up to 15 years (25 years with powder coating) and can even withstand wind speeds of up to 110mph!
DuraPost® is also 100% recyclable and made from 50% recycled steel, making a great fencing option for those with an eco-conscious mind.
With a wide range of colours, styles, and matching accessories too, DuraPost® allows you to create a truly unique fence that adds value to your outside space.
For more information about DuraPost®, including costs and its wider range of benefits, download your free brochure, or discover more on our website today.
ellumière 'plug n play' garden lighting system
Easy to install, no electrician required and comes with a 2 year warranty