Protecting Your Privacy
This privacy notice explains all the types of personal data we may collect about you when you interact with us. We also explain how we store and handle that data, and keep it safe.
It's likely that we need to update this Privacy Notice from time to time. We'll notify you of any significant changes via email, but you are welcome to come back and check it whenever you wish.
When you are using the Birkdale website, Birkdale is the data controller.
Birkdale is a UK based company and therefore, when visiting our website from outside the UK, personal data that we may collect through cookies or online forms will leave your country for the UK.
Explaining the legal bases we rely on
The law on data protection sets out a number of different reasons for which a company may collect and process your personal data, including:
In specific situations, we can collect and process your data with your consent. e.g. when you tick a box to receive email newsletters.
When collecting your personal data, we will always make clear to you which data is necessary in connection with a particular service.
In certain circumstances, we need your personal data to comply with our contractual obligations. e.g. if you order an item from us for delivery, we will collect your address details to delivery your purchase, and pass them to our courier.
We may share your information with law enforcement if legally necessary, e.g. in a case of suspected fraud or criminal activity.
In specific situations, we require your data to pursue our legitimate interests in a way which might reasonably be expected as part of running our business and which does not materially impact your rights, freedom or interests.
e.g. use your purchase history to send you or make available personalised offers.
Send you marketing emails when you shop with us and do not choose to opt out.
Send you direct marketing information by post, telling you about products and services that we think might be of interest to you.
We may contact you regarding market research.
With your consent, or when you shop with us and do not choose to opt out from receiving our emails we will use your personal data, preferences and details of your transactions to keep you informed by email and text, about relevant products and services including tailored special offers, discounts, promotions, events and competitions. This is only applicable in the UK.
When do we collect your personal data?
- When you visit our websites, and use your account to buy products and services either on the phone or online.
- When you make an online purchase. (If you check out as a guest we just collect transaction based data).
- When you create an account with us.
- When you shop online, we capture information through cookies and similar technologies, you can mange these when you visit our site.
- When you engage with us on social media.
- When you download or install our app.
- When you contact us by any means with queries, complaints etc.
- When you ask for one of our Durapost® Installers to contact you about a product or service.
- When you enter our competitions.
- When you choose to complete any surveys we send you.
- When you review our products and services.
- When you fill in any online forms.
What sort of personal data do we collect?
- If you have an account with us: your name, billing/delivery address, orders, email and telephone numbers.
For your security, we will also keep an encrypted record of your login password.
- Details of your interactions with us through customer service, online or by using our app.
e.g. We collect notes from our conversation with you, details of any complains or comment you make about purchase made, items viewed or added to your basket, web pages you visit and how when you contact us.
- Items you may have added to your wish list.
- Online forms requesting call back, or further information.
- Downloading our online brochures.
- Details of your visit to our websites or app, and which site you came from to ours.
- Open rates, click through rates on email marketing through the use of Pixels.
We will only ask for and use your personal data collected for recommending items of interest and to tailor your shopping experience with us. Of course, it is always your choice whether you share such details with us.
- Payment card information.
- Comments and product reviews.
- To deliver the best experience online, we collect technical information about your internet connection and browser as well as the country your computer is located, the web pages viewed during your visit, advertisements you clicked on, and any search terms you entered.
- Your social media username, if you interact with us through those channels, to help us respond to your comments, questions or feedback.
How and why do we use your personal data?
We want to give you the best possible customer experience. One way to achieve that is to get the best picture we can of you by combing the data we have about you.
We then use this information to offer you promotions, products and servies that are most likely to interest you.
The data privacy law allows this as part of our legitimate interest in understanding our customers and providing the highest levels of service.
If you choose not to share your personal data with us, or refuse certain contact permissions, we might not be able to provide some of the services you have asked for.
Here's how we will use your personal data and why.
- To process orders that you make by using our websites or app. If we do not collect your personal data during checkout, we wont be able to process your order and comply with our legal obligation's.
- To respond to your queries, refund requests and complaints.
- To send you email notifications when you place a product in your basket and you abandon your browsing before completing your checkout.
- To provide tracking information so that you can follow your order.
- To protect our business and your account from fraud and other illegal activities. This includes using your personal data to maintain, update and safeguard your account.
- To send you necessary information about changes to the services we provide to you. e.g. updates to this Privacy notice, product recall notices and legally required information relation to your orders. These service messages do not require prior consent when sent by email or text message. If we do not use your personal data for these purposes, we would be unable to comply with our legal obligations.
- We will share your email address and information related to your use of the website with Meta to analyse the effectiveness of our advertising. This is based on consent to advertising cookies. You can opt out of Meta's use of date through your Meta platforms.
- Administer any of our competitions which you enter, based on your consent given at the time of entering.
How we protect your personal data
We treat your data with the utmost care and take all appropriate steps to protect it.
We secure access to all transactional areas of our websites and apps using ‘https’ technology.
Access to your personal data is password protected and sensitive data such as payment card information is secured and encrypted to ensure it is protected.
We regularly monitor our systems for possible vulnerabilities and attacks, and carry out penetration testing to identify ways to further strengthen security.
How long will we keep your personal data?
We will only keep your data collected, for a long as is necessary for the purpose from which it was collected.
e.g. When you place an order, we will keep the personal data you give us for five years so we can comply with our legal obligations. In the case of certain product that include a warranty, the associated data will be kept until the end of the warranty period.
Who do we share your personal data with?
We only share your personal data with trusted third parties. e.g. delivery couriers or installer partners if requested.
- They may only use your data for the exact purposes we specify in our contract with them.
- We work closely with them to ensure that your privacy is respected and protected at all times.
How can you stop the use of your personal data for marketing?
- Click the ‘unsubscribe’ link in any email communication that we send you.
- If you have an account, just log in, under ‘My Account’ area and change your preferences.
If you have any questions that have not been covered, please contact our team who will be pleased to help you. Contact us